Deadline: March 31, 2013
Company: US Composting Council
Location: Bethesda, MD
Established in 1990, the US Composting Council is the only national organization in the United States dedicated to the development, expansion, and promotion of the composting industry. The USCC achieves its mission – “to advance composting and promote compost use to enhance soils and provide economic and environmental benefits for members and society” – by encouraging, supporting and performing compost-related research, promoting best management practices, establishing standards, educating professionals and the public about the benefits of composting and compost utilization, enhancing compost product quality, and developing training materials for composters and markets for compost products. USCC members include compost producers, marketers, equipment manufacturers, product suppliers, academic institutions, public agencies, nonprofit groups and consulting/engineering firms. New member outreach also includes homeowners, environmental educators and organizations that promote green living and sustainability.
This is an excellent opportunity to learn the workings of a Professional and Trade Association that is involved in growing an important component of a sustainable society. The successful candidate will report directly to the Executive Director and assist him in the development of a variety of initiatives.
Duties & Responsibilities
Depending on the interests and background of the intern, potential projects include:
- Legislative and Regulatory: Development of “model rules” that responsibly encourage the growth of composting
- Economic analysis: Assist in research to gauge the size and value of the composting industry
- Membership: Assisting the membership coordinator to develop and implement program to attract and keep members
- Communication: Developing a “media press kit” for the USCC and expanding our media contacts list
- Marketing: Assisting the development of the new Consumer Compost Use Program
Qualifications and Required Experience:
- A junior or senior in a business administration or affiliated program, leading to a baccalaureate degree;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Fluent in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Dates & Location
Internship commences on or about May 15, 2013, and end on or about August 15, 2013. These dates are flexible and can be extended by mutual consent. The USCC office is located in Bethesda, MD near the Grosvenor metro station.
$10-$13/hr – This is a 40hr/wk position
The United States Composting Council is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Michael Virga @ email@example.com
Please include why you seek this internship, what you would hope to gain from the experience, and any knowledge or background you have in composting and/or the use of compost.
Contact Info: Michael Virga @ firstname.lastname@example.org