Our vision is to advance composting technologies, practices, and beneficial uses that support resource conservation and economic and environmental sustainability.
The Composting Council Research and Education Foundation supports initiatives that enhance the stature and practices of the composting industry by supporting scientific research, increasing awareness, and educating the public to advance environmentally and economically sustainable organics recycling.
Composting for a good cause…
Composting Council Research and Education Foundation
“I’ve seen first-hand that sound scientific research and education are critical to the composting industries success, and these are two reasons I support the CCREF through Two Cents for Compost. The Foundation’s work makes a difference for compost producers and users alike, and for advancing excellence in the profession.”
-Mark Rose, The LETCO Group/Living Earth
The Composting Council Research and Education Foundation is a catalyst for advancement of composting technologies, practices, and beneficial uses that support resource conservation and economic and environmental sustainability. The philanthropic arm of the US Composting Council, the Foundation positively impacts communities locally and globally by:
- Fostering scientific research opportunities
- Increasing awareness and educating the public
- Advancing the stature and practices of the composting industry
Composting Council Research and Education Foundation at Work
Through their investments, our donors, partners, and USCC’s extensive network of sponsorship resources, help the CCREF achieve its mission in the key areas outlined above.
Fostering scientific research opportunities
The Foundation has excelled in performing, organizing and administering research critical to the growth of organics recycling. The Foundation’s reputation for credibility and scientific rigor has led to the development of sound composting principles, processes, product end uses and analytical standards. Research projects include:
- The Test Methods for Evaluating Composting & Compost (TMECC): these specification and verification test methods are critical to the industry and require periodic revision to ensure highest quality standards and practices are upheld.
Increasing awareness and educating the public
CCREF has a strong history of supporting public outreach and awareness activities. Through sponsorship of local compost pilot programs, national awareness campaigns, and development of basic to technical educational materials, the Foundation encourages and supports the important practice of organics recycling and compost use among all citizens.
- National Communications Campaign: targeted communication campaign to produce multi-media messaging for broad distribution to promote composting industry, related services, and product use.
- Compost Publications and Materials: review, modify, and revive a number of popular compost resources and field guides as well as invest in new publications to meet current trends relevant to the field and various levels of interest.
Advancing the stature and practices of the composting industry
Offering professional development capabilities, knowledge and resources, the Foundation helps the industry effectively build thriving consumer markets, produce high quality products and engage in the most up-to-date environmentally sustainable organics recycling practices. The Foundation is building a network of support services including dissemination of best practices, publications, end-use and product research, education and training materials, consumer use guides and occupational safety standards.
- Industry Economic Study: to collect data on the size, scope, and impact of the composting industry. Aggregation of these data will empower USCC to file for individual compost industry code, speak with full force on policy and regulations issues, and develop financial options that bolster industry growth.
How you can make a difference
“Seeding our nation and industry with accessible, up-to-date scientific information and educational opportunities in composting benefits the future of organics recycling, our environment, and its precious resources. That is why WeCare Organics is proud to be a founding member of Two Cents for Compost supporting the Foundation’s work to advance this powerful cause and the exceptional industry it engenders.”
-Brian Fleury, WeCare Organics
Uniquely positioned within an industry that touches all aspects of sustainable development and the environment, the CCREF identifies opportunities to leverage excellence in composting to reach a larger common good. Our work is funded by those who believe that sustainable practices and recycling strategies have the power to positively influence issues of great environmental importance.
Generous individuals, corporations and foundations are pivotal to continuing the Foundation’s critical waste diversion and organics recycling research, industry development initiatives, and educational programming. We invite you to support the CCREF today.
Composting for a good cause. Won’t you help us make a difference?
To make a contribution and to learn more about the CCREF, please contact us at email@example.com, or by mail at 5400 Grosvenor Lane, Bethesda, MD 20814 or by calling Executive Director, Michael Virga at 301-897-2585.