Organics Recycling Operations Manager
Deadline: August 5, 2017
Company: Waste Management
I. Job Summary
This position supports the on-going operations of multiple composting and other organic recycling projects on a company-wide basis and assists with the development of new or expanded organics processing capacity.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
• In conjunction with the Director of Organic Recycling and Market Area managers, ensure strict compliance with all applicable Federal, State, local and company Environmental and Risk Management Policies and Procedures at operating locations.
• Provide subject matter expertise to company leadership, area personnel and facility staff related to composting and other organics processing technologies, including regulatory development, compliance, feedstock suitability, processing methods and technologies, industry and market trends, and end-product marketing.
• Evaluate and assist with the management and tracking of organics processing activities across the enterprise as needed for development and reporting purposes.
• Develop, maintain, and provide training of compost operations best management practices and standards.
• Supervise team work processes, procedures, and expenses, and support programs which drive team performance toward departmental and organizational goals.
• Assist with and/or leads the hiring, training, and contracting with third parties and consultants related to the evaluation and management of operations of organics processing facilities.
• Develop and maintain project plans and budgets, evaluate performance, and develop and execute actionable plans to adjust to changing conditions.
• Inspect and analyze project outputs and deliverables.
• Review and evaluate work to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to policies, procedures.
• Oversee project personnel needs including coaching, training, and evaluating employee performance. Provide input into termination, compensation, and promotion decisions.
• Other duties as assigned.
• In coordination with the Market Area business development leaders, assists in the evaluation of acquisition candidates, third-party processors, or internal processing capacity decision to meet the needs of organics customers. Prospects, and the company.
• Working with the Director of Organic Recycling and Market Area leaders, assists with the evaluation and selection of appropriate processing technologies, and solicitation of bids from technology vendors, partners, and contractors as required.
• Assist with the completion of project site evaluations, development of facility designs and processing technology selection, and the development of accurate project proformas.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is the management of supervisory employees. This includes:
• Potential direct supervision of up to three full-time employees.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
Required: Bachelor’s Degree and two years of related experience, or a minimum of five years of related experience in Compost Facility Operations, Operations Management and/or Project Development, with a preference for candidates with a strong natural or biological science and/or engineering background.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
None required, but one of the following or similar certification is useful:
Certified Compost Operations Manager
Certified Professional Soil Scientist, Agronomist or Erosion and Sediment Control Specialist
Travel: Expect up to 50% travel.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
Commitment to Environmental Compliance and Safety.
Demonstrated enthusiasm and passion for the role.
Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, and to work as part of a team.
Computer proficiency in Microsoft suite.
Strong science and/or engineering/operations background.
Strong written and oral communication skills.
Positive disposition and attitude.
Integrity and sound ethical reasoning.
Solid analytical and reasoning skills.
Ability to work with varying personalities and skillsets.
Ability to work independently and also as part of a team.
Contact Info: Eric Myers | [email protected]