U.S. Composting Council’s 19th Annual Conference & Trade Show – Bigger & Better Than Ever!
The USCC 19th Annual Conference and Trade Show was another huge success. More than 1,100 composting and organics professionals and 130 exhibitors attended the US Composting Council’s 19th Annual Conference and Trade Show, January 24-27 in Santa Clara/San Jose, CA. Hosted by more than 60 sponsors, the Annual Conference attracted a national and international audience, with representatives from nearly every state and 18 countries.
In addition to three days of training courses and educational and technical sessions, the conference also featured a record number of Equipment Demonstrations by many of the leading equipment manufacturers and suppliers in the industry. Grinding and shredding equipment from Rotochopper, Peterson, Komptech, Morbark, Duratech, Hammel, Doppstadt USA, Bandit Industries Industries and Vermeer Corporation. Screening equipment from McCloskey International, Doppstadt USA, Komptech, Peterson, Terra-Select, Powerscreen and Wildcat. Air classification equipment by Airlift Separator/Hawker Corp., Terra-Select and Komptech. Waste reduction/Pulper and Hydra-Extractor by Somat. Mixing Equipment from ROTO-MIX and Supreme International. Screening buckets and other attachments from Allu. Turning equipment from Komptech, Vermeer, Backhus, Wildcat, Midwest Biosystems & Scarab Manufacturing and Leasing. Conveyor Systems by Powerscreen. Bagging Equipment by Rotochopper. Compost Application Equipment by Ecolawn. Wheel Loaders and Excavators from CAT (by Peterson Tractor) and John Deere (by Pape Equipment).
Among this year’s conference highlights were awards presented for outstanding achievements in the composting industry:
- Hi Kellogg Award for Outstanding Service to the Composting Industry,awarded to Craig Coker, Coker Composting and Consulting, Vinton, VA
- Rufus Chaney Award for Research Excellence, awarded to Dr. Fred Michel, The Ohio State University Compost Research Group, Wooster, OH
- Composter of the Year for Excellence in Compost Production and Marketing awarded to Ron Miesbauer, South Kern Compost Manufacturing Facility, Taft, CA
- Composting program of the year for excellence in organics diversion and public education awarded to Greg Gelewski, Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency, Syracuse, NY
- The H. Clark Gregory Award to Promote Grassroots Efforts in Composting, awarded to Alice Waters, Chez Panisse Foundation, “The Edible School Yard”
- Clean Water Award, awarded to Ron Alexander, R. Alexander Associates, Inc., Apex, NC
- Outstanding Service Award for outstanding service to the Composting Industry, awarded to Virginia Black, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, St. Paul, MN
Next year’s US Composting Council’s Annual Conference & Trade Show is scheduled for January 16-20, at the Renaissance Hotel in Austin, Texas. Visit www.compostingcouncil.org or call the USCC at 631.737.4931 for more information.
The US Composting Council (USCC) is a national not-for-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of composting and compost uses to enhance soils and provide economic benefits for its members and society. The USCC also directs the Composting Council Research and Education Foundation (CCREF), a charitable foundation, which administers public and private research and education activities.